What Sachin Tendulkar is to Cricket, Michael Schumacher is to Formula 1, Suresh Rana is to Indian motorsport.
- Suresh Rana is the winner of Raid de Himalaya 2017.
- Suresh Rana has won 11 Raid de Himalaya titles, the most by any participant.
- The Manali-man started motorsport racing at age 20, participating in Raid de Himalaya for the first time in 2001.
- Rana has won 5 back-to-back Raid de Himalaya titles, from 2004-2008.
- Maruti Gypsy, Skoda Fabia, Mitsubishi Evo 10 and Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara are Rana’s favourite cars for rallying.
There is an interesting story of how 34-year old Suresh Rana got into rally racing. Mandeep Bhalla of The Himalayan Motorsport Association spotted him on his way from Kunzum Top in 2001. Mandeep saw the perfect racing lines 20-year old Suresh took driving his non-race spec Gypsy and told him about Raid de Himalaya. That’s how it began and the rest, as they say is history.
Suresh, by contrast, has taken his own sweet time to adapt to off-roading, debuting in 2001. It was in 2004 that Rana won the event for the first time, also a start of his best winning sreak 2004-2008, in which he won 5 titles year after year.
He is in fact a complete package. Apart from his mastery in driving fast in the mountains, he is supersonic on the sand too. He has in his trophy cabinet 3 Desert Storm titles – in 2009, 2012 and 2013.
About Raid de Himalaya
Internationally reputed to be the “highest motorsport event in the world”, the Raid de Himalaya was created by The Himalayan Motorsport Association is a Council Member Club of the Federation of Motorsports Clubs of India (FMSCI), and has been organized and conducted by the club for the past 15 years consecutively.
The Raid de Himalaya’s route – through some of the world’s highest and toughest motorable roads and passes such as the Jalori Pass, Rohtang Pass, Kunzum La, Baralacha La, Tanglang La and Khardung La – is an extreme test of mental endurance and physical fitness.